It does not take a massive remodel or a big budget to make your house feel a little more like home to you. Inside or out, small improvements can make a significant difference and you can handle most of them yourself, even if you are not handy.
Check out our list of ideas below, from various home-improvement sites and authorities such as “This Old House”. Some of them won’t even cost you a thing aside from time and effort.
The Inside Of Your Home
- Paint Something, Anything: Whether you want a new color or just a fresh coat, new paint can work wonders inside your house. Don’t think you have to limit yourself to just the walls. You can paint your kitchen’s backsplash for a new look or even old vinyl flooring to make it look like stone tile.
- Dress Up Your Old Furniture: Your couch, has it seen better days? Instead of taking it to the dumpster, give it new life with a slipcover or have it reupholstered. You will be surprised at the difference it makes.
- Change Up Your Rugs: An area rug is a great way to add color throughout your home. Replace the old one with a new color or pattern. You could even put a few down in new places and then swap them out regularly for a fresh look.
- Light Things Up: Installing a LED lighting strip under your cabinets is not expensive and they provide more than light. They can give your kitchen a polished, upscale feel. Another option is to replace lamps (or even just the shades), or the overhead lighting can change the look and feel of a room dramatically.
- Switch The Switch Covers: Do you have basic or cheap-looking covers surrounding your light switches and outlets? This is one of the easiest updates you can make. A new cover will give you a real bang for your buck in terms of visual impact.
- Don’t Spend A Thing: For a truly different feel, just rearrange the furniture in the room. It’s free and effective. If you have clutter around the house (who doesn’t?), simply putting things away can make a big difference.
The Outside Of Your Home
- More Paint: No, you don’t have to paint the entire exterior to have an impact. You can just touch up trim, paint or stain the fence or deck, and for maximum impact, repaint your doors. A bright new look for your front door can really make things pop.
- Add Plants: No room for a garden? Don’t want to dig up your yard? Not a problem. Adding a container plant on your porch or deck is a great way to enhance your home’s appearance. They do not cost much, and you can swap them out easily as well.
- Go By The Numbers: When was the last time you looked at your house numbers? If they are worn or dated, this is an easy, inexpensive fix.
- Knock, Knock: A fancy or not-so-fancy doorknocker can really dress up your front door. An updated doorbell can be a nice touch, too.
Tackling one or two of these easy updates will likely leave you wondering why you waited so long to do it. Most of them can be done for well under $100, but we will not tell your guests if you don’t.
R.C. Keller & Company is your local independent insurance agency. We have helping the residents of Schaumburg and the surrounding areas since 1910. If you make any of these updates be sure to give one of our trusted agents a call to let them know, so we can make sure you are receiving the correct discounts. If you have any questions or concerns on your home insurance, auto insurance or business insurance, feel free to give us a call at 847-907-4520.