Illinois Boat Insurance
There’s nothing as exhilarating as boating. The wind in your hair, the waves against the hull and the buzz of a fishing line.
It’s no wonder why more than 87 million people in the United States participate in recreational boating in 2014.
Is Boat Insurance Required?
One of the biggest misconceptions people may have is that your boat is covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy. While your homeowners insurance may provide a very limited coverage to a small boat on your property; larger boats need their own insurance policy especially if you dock your boat in a marina.
The state of Illinois does not require boat owners to purchase insurance to ride in their waters, but R.C. Keller & Company strongly recommend you protect yourself with the proper boat insurance coverage before you hit the water.
Illinois Boat Insurance Coverage
R.C. Keller & Company will offer the following boat insurance coverage options:
- Comprehensive: Provides compensation if your boat is vandalized, stolen or damaged in an incident other than a collision.
- Collision: Includes repair or replacement of your boat, but may or may not include clean-up of wreckage.
- Fuel-Spill Liability: This is an extra liability coverage that protects you from claims for clean-up or 3rd party damage due to an accidental discharge of oil or fuel that can occur in a sinking, fire, collision or grounding. This “green coverage” is crucial now that federal and state laws subject the boater to liability for cleanup, containment and environmental damage.
- Property Damage Liability: This covers damage you may cause to someone else’s boat, dock or property.
- Bodily Injury Liability: This liability coverage covers you if you may cause injury to while using your boat. This would include medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and any legal expenses.
- Medical Payments: Suppose you or your passengers get injured after an accident on your boat, medical payments will help pay for resulting expenses such as hospital bills, medications and x-rays.
- Roadside Assistance
- Uninsured/Underinsured Boaters
- Boat Equipment: Any accessories you keep aboard your boat; anchors, life jackets, navigation equipment.
- Trailer Coverage: Your boat doesn’t get from your house to the water on its own, with our trailer coverage we will help cover any damages associated with your boat trailer.
Why Choose R.C. Keller & Company?
R.C. Keller & Company is an independent insurance agency, we are able to work with multiple insurance company to get you the best price on your boat insurance. The companies we work with offer several discounts. For example, our companies may give you a discount if you don’t use your boat year-round, or a discount for boating in fresh water instead of salt water.
You can also qualify for a discount if you have taken a boating safety course or a good driving discount if your boating record is unblemished.
Since 1910, R.C. Keller & Company has been a full service, Trusted Choice insurance agency, protecting Illinois boaters. Complete the Free Boat Insurance Quote Form on this page or give us a call at 847-907-4520. Let us take care of you today, so you can rest easy and have a peace of mind knowing that your boat is well protected.